Like nearly all colonies in early Connecticut and New England, Stratford was a small fortified village. It was surrounded by a palisade, on the north wall of which was a watch tower. "The Indians were so numerous in this part of the colony that the English judged it necessary for their own safety, to compass the whole town plat with a fortification. It was so closely inclosed with strong pallisadoes, as entirely to exclude the Indians, from that part of the town." (Trumbull, History of Connecticut).
Stratford (or Cupheag, as it was then called), was laid out in 1639. Edward Hinman arrived here probably within a year of having landed at Boston in June, 1650. It's possible that he knew Mr. Francis Stiles from London and went from Boston to the Windsor trading post on the Connecticut River. By 1652 he was married to Francis Stiles' daughter Hannah and had purchased a two-acre houselot in the Cupheag Plantation. His house was located on the west side of Main Street, now the rectory property of Christ Church. See lot 21 on the map at right.
At a town meeting in Stratford, held 7 March 1654, it was voted "that Edward Hinman should have for his use the parcel of meadow which lyeth west of Mr. Stiles' house, on this side of the further milne river, for his own use, so long as he stays or will make improvements." Sgt. Edward was an extensive land owner and the first owner of the old tide mill at Eagle's Nest. His eldest son, Capt. Titus Hinman, was a signer of the "fundamental articles" for the settlement of Woodbury and Captain of the train-band after his removal there. Edward Hinman sold his homestead in Stratford in 1681 to Richard Bryan, of Milford, and about that time made his will in which he calls himself of Woodbury, and soon after died, 26 Nov 1681.